WASTE WATER TREATMENT
Different Industries with different processes land up at different waste /wash stream/effluent characterized by the TDS, COD, BOD, Turbidity and thus the treatment scheme for each also varies. The design of comprehensive recycling system is Zero Liquid Discharge (ZLD) situation where the final evaporated and dried solids. It is combination of membrane/non membrane biological processes viz. UF pre-treatment fallowed by pre concentration by RO and then the evaporator. As we go down the treatment scheme, the capital costs as well as Operating costs increase exponentially–evaporation being the most expensive. The versatility of membrane technology and the ranges of separation gives flexibility to achieve the maximum efficiency and reduce operating cost not only for membrane parts but by bringing down over all load. Use of membranes along the treatment chain involves:
- Membrane Bioreactors at Upstream to enhance efficiencies of Biological processes.
- Ultrafiltration (UF): Spirals / Hollowfiber UF membranes for polishing and thereby fine filtration prior to RO for Waste water / Surface water. For waste water stream the Hollowfiber membrane foul very fast due to high COD and Organics in the stream. To overcome this Permionics have developed low fouling, high flux tight Spiral UF membranes that have been deployed by different industries.
- Nanofiltration (NF): NF membranes help in process intensification although explored lesser, they add value by not only reducing load on final effluent treatments but also by recovering products for recycle back. Some of the example are separation of monovalent and divalent salts, Organics from salts, colour from spent brine, Organics from Caustic etc.
- Reverse Osmosis (RO): This is final step for the concentration of treated effluent to reduce reject volumes to evaporator. This is ultimate challenge for any membrane system as effluent varies in its quality, COD, BOD and never meets SDI requirements for feeding to RO. Using MBR as pre-treatments would be ideal but the Capex and uncertainty of its performance on high load especially in Pharma and Chemical industries limits the use of technology. However Permionics has overcome this hurdle by treatment effluents directly from secondary clarifier by its unique Hydrophilized HPA RO membrane coupled with Turboclean design. This membrane has near neutral charge and smooth surface and additional coating on membranes is what makes it difference.
The Permionics Advantage towards sustainable ZLD:
- Permionics has introduced the revolutionary concept of directly treating the effluent through membrane systems and recycling of water.
- We have developed special low fouling hydrophilic membranes having high COD and BOD tolerances. These membranes are able to handle high TDS and SS loads and are able to take in TDS and COD of about 40,000 ppm directly.
- The Perma HPA elements are the only one of its kind in the membrane market to withstand high COD and BOD loads, outperforming the conventional RO,/NF membranes available in the market today.
- The smooth surface and it’s near neutral to negative charge give the added advantage of it being resistant to biofilm formation and fouling.
- Our effluent treatment systems have been supplied for treating effluents from Textile, Dyeing, Biotech & Pharma, PCB manufacturing, Vegetable Oil Manufacturing, Pesticides Industries, Oil & Gas etc. The supplied staged systems enable recoveries of 80 to 95% of the wastewater.
- Our membrane systems clubbed with an evaporator will make an industry almost zero-discharge industry thereby reducing pollution-related problems and making the company eco-friendly.
Permionics has spearheaded the innovation of membrane development and their applications in various separation processes providing customized solutions across the filtration spectrum. We have seen the influx of hollowfibre Ultra and Microfiltration in the pre-treatment of RO/Resin systems.
With the development of our tight UF chemistry and a robust membrane module, the HFUF05 membrane is by far a more comprehensive solution than Hollowfibre elements, especially when it comes to removal of COLLOIDAL SILICA, TURBIDITY, and RESIDUAL COLOUR from treated sewage apart from lowering the BOD AND COD to achieve the stringent regulatory norms of 5 &5. With its hydrophilic neutral surface and tight pore size, it removes residual organics such as humic acids, BOD and COD due to faecal contamination in treated sewage, surface and river water feeds. This is an indigenous membrane developed in house at Permionics, tried and tested on effluents, STP outlets and surface waters with excellent results. We would like to introduce TURBOCATCH System as a polishing treatment system when you need to recycle treated sewage water for further use.
This followed by our NF or RO systems can actually convert Treated sewage into BOILER FEED Water if not DRINKING Water.
|Type||MWCO(Daltons)||Solute rejection||Typical Applications|
|UFP 50||75-100KD||90 % of 90 K
|UFP 20||20 KD||85 % PVP 30K||Protein removal|
|GRUF10||10 KD||85 % PEG 8K||Enzyme
|GRUF05||5 KD||85 % PEG 6K||Enzyme
We offer membrane systems for the following applications:
- Seawater and Brackish water treatment.
- Removal of Colloidal Silica.
- Production of ultrapure water (HPW) for use in dialysis in hospitals.
- Production of boiler feed water.
- Production of Process Utility Water.
- Production of Semiconductor grade 18 Mega Ohm Water systems for PCB, Electronics and Solar wafer Industries.
Spiral Wound Membrane elements consistently demonstrate superior performance and life on brackish and seawater sources as well as in tertiary wastewater treatment. Spiral wound membranes require generally less pretreatment and have fewer operational problems.
O&M and WAAS:
We also undertake Trouble shooting, Revamping and subsequent O&M of the facility. A division for large scale water and waste water recycling facilities on BOO basis is also a unique business model that Permionics has embarked on.